Every ounce of my being thinks it is the stupidest idea to have a Life Coach. Who needs a Life Coach? It’s a scam. People are just preying on the innocent and the insecure to make a buck. Why would anyone need a Life Coach? Now if you believe in Life Coaches, you probably didn’t make it to this sentence. I set out to rip on the idea of a Life Coach, but if I’m honest with myself, we are all so undisciplined that we need coaches and mentors and disciplers in our lives.
You might be disciplined in a few areas of your life, but we could all use direction and wisdom. Whether it’s to lose weight or to gain a deeper understanding of ourself, we need the insight that a mentor or coach can provide. Honestly, it’s the idea behind discipleship, apprenticeship, and education.
Life Coaches tend to have a specialization. Here are some of my initial thoughts about Life Coaches:
1. Don’t get a Life Coach that doesn’t have a Life Coach.
2. We all need them. Find a Life Coach for each area that you need help in.
3. Be a Life Coach yourself – Okay, so maybe you won’t charge, but share your wisdom with someone. There’s nothing more humbling than giving of yourself.
4. Life Coach = Mentor, Teacher, Discipler, Athletic Trainer, Counselor, Therapist, and pretty much anyone that you look up to and speaks into your life.
5. When looking for a Life Coach – the cheesier the picture, the cheesier the Life Coach. I’m just saying.